How much time do you spend in Manchester? Do you shop at the mall, work downtown, eat on Main Street, hike Case Mountain, or drink craft beer? Manchester is growing and diversifying… and it is no accident. Having worked for the Town of Manchester for the past 22 months, I’ve been able to witness:
- Innovative strategic planning,
- Proactive investment in small businesses,
- A burgeoning art scene, and
- Renewal of the downtown district.
Since our relaunch in 2018, WORK_SPACE has been able to benefit from and contribute to this growth. This evolution has been exciting and telling. It has shown our staff that there is an immediate need for community-minded, affordable, and accessible resources for the business community. We provide space for you to:
- Establish your vision,
- Make your workshop, training, or conference a reality, and
- Connect with free resources for you to grow.
“As a rising business owner WORK_SPACE has been an incredible place to grow my business. Between the staff and other business owners it is truly like a family. WORK_SPACE provides everything I need to have my business be successful in a prime location. It is incredible how WORK_SPACE dedicates the time and resources to provide all the tools necessary for me to run my company with ease!! Thank you WORK_SPACE!!” — Drew Angelo, Event Manager, Custom Concepts, LLC
Here are 3 resources right on Main Street to grow your business NOW.
VISIT THE TOWN OF MANCHESTER’S DOWNTOWN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
Conveniently located on the 1st floor of WORK_SPACE, Tana Parseliti is a wealth of information. She will not only show you an array of available commercial real estate, but connect with you on how to successfully establish (or relocate) your business. A significant part of her job involves working on business recruitment and assisting prospective businesses in identifying suitable space and moving through the selection and permitting process.
A typical meeting with a prospective small business may include:
- Discussion of your existing business or new business concept.
- Review of your business requirements and available properties in the Downtown that may fit your needs.
- Referrals to small business advisors such as a SBDC Business Advisor or SCORE representative who can help to hone your business plan.
- Providing information on business incentive programs if appropriate.
Contact Tana today to set up an appointment. (Tana Parseliti, Downtown Development Specialist, Manchester Dept. of Planning and Economic Development, 860 647-6021; firstname.lastname@example.org)
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE CT SMALL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT CENTER (CTSBDC)
CTSBDC Business Advisor Michelle (Shelly) Koehler is located on the 2nd floor in the WORK_SPACE Collaborative Commons. She and her colleagues throughout CT offer free business advising to small business owners and entrepreneurs to start, grow, and thrive in Connecticut. Contact Shelly to discuss:
- Access to capital and funding
- Business plan organization and review
- Disaster or disruption preparedness
- Financial analysis and cash flow management
- Export consulting
For New Businesses start here: https://ctsbdc.com/request-advising/start-a-business/
For Existing Businesses start here: https://ctsbdc.com/request-advising/grow-a-business/
JOIN YOUR LOCAL CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
Connecticut’s largest independent chamber of commerce is located right down the street from WORK_SPACE. The Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce (GMCC) is dedicated to making the Greater Manchester community a better place to live, work and do business! They understand that the business climate is ever changing, and how you do business has changed, that is why you can be sure that GMCC will keep up and ahead of those changes so that not only do they remain relevant to their Members, but are an indispensable resource for the business community and community at large.
DID YOU KNOW? WORK_SPACE is a member of the Greater Manchester Chamber, CT River Valley Chamber (located in Glastonbury) and the CT Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce which covers the entire state.
What can you expect from a chamber membership?
- Planning assistance for a grand opening event
- Networking opportunities to accommodate any schedule,
- Advertising opportunities (print, social, and web-based)
- Special offers for health, dental, home & auto insurance.
- Incredibly affordable business referral groups. and
- Instant credibility for your brand.
Get connected with your local chamber representatives (including myself come Feb. 3rd) to see how membership will support your business needs. Start here: http://www.manchesterchamber.com/join-the-chamber
Until Next Time,
Emma Petersen, Associate, WORK_SPACE